MICROBIOLOGY RESEARCH REVIEW | MyTopTutor

MICROBIOLOGY RESEARCH REVIEW

order now

BIO 275: MICROBIOLOGY RESEARCH REVIEW

Objective: The purpose of this project is to become familiar with reading and analyzing primary scientific journal articles. This project is also an opportunity to become more familiar with some of the major issues surrounding the field of microbiology.

Description: Students will research a microbiological organism (e.g., P. aeruginosa), and present their findings to the class in a PowerPoint presentation format. The organism may be bacterial, fungal, protozoan, or helminthic in nature; preferably a pathogen or opportunistic pathogen. No two students in seated classes should research the same organism.

Project Paper Instructions:

Find four primary source articles from peer reviewed scientific journals related to one of the topics covered in class (e.g. microbial metabolism) about your organism of choice. Any topic will do, but they should be a topic that is directly related to your microbe of choice. Anything other than a primary source will not be counted.

Read the articles and write a one-page summary for each article. Each summary should also include: 1) why the work was completed, 2) the research question, 2) the hypothesis, 3) the results and 4) conclusions from the work.

In addition, you should include a one-page overarching conclusion/summary of the works collectively. Including a discussion about the relevance to current issues in microbiology (i.e. why does the research matter? What it means to you and to the world? – In other words, why should we care about this topic and the research that has been done?)

Submit a complete copy of summaries and conclusion with your references using APA formatting. You do not need to include a cover page or abstract, however, please include your name in the “Running head.”

Project Presentation Instructions:

Present this material to your classmates. You may do this in the form of a PowerPoint slideshow or other slideshow presenter (e.g., Prezi, Keynote, etc.,) Prepare your presentation with color visuals containing background information your organism. Include details about the organism such as how it is acquired, treatment, signs/symptoms, new medical advances, etc. Your presentation should be between 5 and 10 minutes long, NO LONGER than 10 minutes.

You must discuss the findings from your four articles and their collective importance.

Students in internet classes are required to respond to/comment on a minimum of five of their classmate’s presentations in Moodle. I only ask that your responses be to organisms/topics other than your own.

GRADING
The Project Paper will count 66% of the total project grade. The Project Presentation will count for the remaining 34%.

TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL PRESENTATION
Use helpful slides (easy to read/understand) that aid understanding (bullet important information, use photos/pictures)
Presentation should include information about the organism, how the organism is acquired, associated diseases, treatments, signs/symptoms, health concerns, new medical advances, etc.
Speech should flow (this requires you to practice giving the presentation out loud several times.)
Have knowledge on the topic (you should know more about the organism thank your classmates and possibly the instructor).
Talk to the audience (not simply reading from the slides or cards).
Have knowledge beyond what you presented as shown by being able to answer questions after your presentation.
Present within time (not too long or too short)

 

Are you overwhelmed by your class schedule and need help completing this assignment? You deserve the best professional and plagiarism-free writing services. Allow us to take the weight off your shoulders by clicking this button.

Get help